Property Owners – Opportunity to Repair & Lease Vacant Property
Roscommon County Council is inviting applications from owners of vacant property under a new scheme called the Vacant Housing Repair and Leasing Scheme which is a key component of the Rebuilding Ireland Action Plan for Housing and Homelessness. If a property requires repairs to bring it up to the Standards for Letting, Roscommon County Council or an Approved Housing Body will pay for this repair work up-front in return for the property being made available for social housing through a lease for a period of at least 10 years.
Roscommon County Council is interested in such properties in its high demand areas such as Monksland and the towns of Roscommon, Castlerea, Boyle, Ballaghaderreen & Strokestown.
There are a number of requirements in relation to the Scheme:
- The property must be vacant for at least one year.
- There must be a social housing demand for property in the area.
- The maximum funding allowable is €40,000.
- Examples of eligible works are new flooring, low grade plumbing / heating works, energy efficiency upgrades, insulation, painting/decorating, windows / doors upgrade/ replacements.
- Significant structural works are not eligible e.g. extension, roof replacement.
- The minimum lease term is 10 years, 15 years or 20 years depending on the cost of the works.
- The lease payments will be based on
- The general terms of social leasing which is set at 80% ( 85% for apartments) of the current market rental rates in the property location
- A further adjustment to the lease payment to off-set the cost of the repair/upgrade work until the cost of the work has been repaid.
- Property Owners must prove ownership and be tax compliant and must engage the Contractor.
- This initiative is not available for private renting.
Further details of the Scheme and Application Form are available from the Housing Business Unit, Roscommon County Council , Áras an Chontae, Roscommon (090) 6637230 or via website on www.roscommoncoco.ie or email address email@example.com
Mr Derek Caldbeck
A/Head of Finance & Housing (to include ICT), Roscommon County Council,
Áras an Chontae, Roscommon F42 VR98